Rocket Salad With Pomegranate And Vegan Cheese
I always have salad as a side dish, with almost everything I eat . I absolutely love the refreshing taste of raw veggies. Some salads are so fantastic that you can have them as a light, nutritious, main meal. Rocket salad with pomegranate and vegan cheese is a great example!
Salads help you feel full for long periods of time as most vegetables are high in fiber. It’s no wonder that dietitians often advice that we fill at least half of our plates with salad every time we sit down for a meal.
The idea of rocket salad with pomegranate and vegan cheese came about when a student of mine brought me some home grown pomegranates from her own back yard. I had never really used pomegranate in recipes in the past and was looking for a way to incorporate it in a light, yet delicious recipe!
They looked so mouth-watering fresh. Like rubies! They needed to be consumed straight away!
Nutritional value of pomegranate
Pomegranate seeds are an excellent source of dietary fiber (20% DV) which is entirely contained in the edible seeds.
In this recipe we will also be using sunflower seeds which also have a high nutritional value.
The seeds are a rich source (20% or higher of the Daily Value, DV) of protein (42% DV), dietary fiber (36% DV), many B vitamins (23-129% DV) and vitamin E (234% DV). The seeds also contain high levels of dietary minerals, includingmagnesium, manganese, phosphorus, iron and zinc (40-94% DV).
You can buy some here and try them out in different recipes yourselves!
Now that I’ve hopefully convinced you of the great benefits of having this dish, let’s get to the chase!
For the salad
- Iceberg lettuce
- Fresh rocket
- A handful of sunflower seeds
- Few tablespoons of fresh pomegranate
- Some vegan Parmesan flakes. I personally use GreenVie vegan Parmesan but there are many other great options available in the marker as well.
Green Vie Vegan Parmesan. Available grated or block
For the dressing:
- A few tablespoons of Balsamic Cream
- Some apple cider vinegar
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Wash and chop the iceberg lettuce and rocket. Do not chop too finely as the nutritional value as well as taste diminishes.
- Mix iceberg lettuce, rocket, pomegranate, and sunflower seeds.
- Grate vegan Parmesan cheese and add on top.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing together and pour over salad.
There you have it! A tasty rocket salad with pomegranate and vegan cheese that is low in fat and calories, yet filling and nutritious! Add some homemade croutons for ultimate indulgence! Enjoy!
As always, for more veggie news, articles and awesome recipes don’t forget to subscribe to our weekly newsletter, like veggiesavvy’s Facebook Page and follow me on Twitter and Instagram! Much Love ♥ ♥ ♥