Spicy Sesame Cauliflower [Vegan & Low Cal]
Cauliflower is one of those vegetables that are just so versatile! There are so many different vegan dishes that you can make using cauliflower. This is due to its texture and subtle taste. It can be cooked using a variety of techniques and in combination with a wide range of herbs and spices to create unique recipes.
From oven roasted to cauliflower rice, this wholefood allows you mix and match different flavors and textures and make awesome dishes that would appeal to all tastes.
Cauliflower is very low in calories and rich in vitamins and nutrients which makes it a perfect vegetable to add to your daily diet.
100 g of cauliflower contains:
- 25 calories
- 0.3 g of fat
- 0 cholesterol
- 300 mg of potassium
- 2 g of dietary fiber
- 2 g of protein
- 80% of the recommended DV (Daily Value) of Vitamin C
- 10% of the recommended DV of Vitamin B6
Health Benefits Of Cauliflower
Cauliflower is a member of the cruciferous vegetable family- along with broccoli, cabbage, kale and brussel sprouts.
It is rich in health promoting phytochemichals and an excellent source of natural antioxidants . Cauliflower has a high level of anti-inflammatory compounds and retains the ability to ward off cancer, heart disease, brain disease, and even weight gain.
Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of cauliflower consumption:
- It reduces cancer risk. Cauliflower has been shown to have chemo-preventive agents that stall early phases of cancer development.
- Cauliflower improves digestion. Cruciferous vegetables are beneficial for digestion and detoxification because of their rich supply of sulfur which support proper nutrient absorption and toxin and waste removal.
- Aids in weight loss. Cauliflower is very low in calories which means that you can consume large amounts with virtually no caloric, fat or sugar burden. Cauliflower also helps to reduce constipation.
- It reduces the risk of heart disease. Cauliflower’s anti-inflammatory abilities- found especially in its supply of Vitamin K and Vitamin C, help to keep arteries and blood vessels free from plaque build-up, lessening the chances of high blood pressure.
•••This nutritional information was obtained through https://draxe.com/cauliflower/
Spicy Sesame Cauliflower [Vegan & Low Cal]
Today’s recipe is one that I personally make quite often as it’s super easy and extremely flavorsome. It only takes about half an hour to prepare which makes this dish perfect for when you are in a rush and want a healthy, yet tasty meal. Did I mention that it’s also dead cheap? None of the ingredients are expensive and you probably already have them in your pantry!
Spicy sesame cauliflower is a filling vegan recipe that will give you a sense of satisfaction without excess calories. Without further ado, let’s get to the recipe!
Ingredients (2 generous servings):
- 1 medium-sized cauliflower head broken into small bites
- 2 onions
- 1 courgette
- 1 carrot
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon of curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of coconut or olive oil
- a handful of sesame seeds
- 1 cup of brown rice or quinoa (serving option)
- Break cauliflower head into small pieces, wash and drain well
- Cut onions into thin slices
- Wash and cut the rest of the veggies into small cubes
- Caramelize the onions in a skillet with a dash of olive/coconut oil, soy sauce, salt and pepper
- Add the rest of the ingredients including all your veggies, tomato puree and spices to the skillet and give them a good stir.
- Allow your vegetables to saute in the tomato juice for a good 10 minutes ( stirring on occasion). They should be nice and crisp on the outside.
- At this point add half of the sesame seeds and about half a cup of water and allow to cook for about another 10 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed.
- Boil some brown rice or quinoa (optional)
- Plate and sprinkle the rest of the sesame seeds on top.
Pure vegan goodness! Spicy sesame cauliflower is so simple to make! It’s delicious and nutritious! But don’t take my word for it! Go ahead and try it yourselves! You’d be amazed at how good this dish tastes!
You can modify this recipe to your taste by omitting or adding spices according to your personal preferences! Enjoy this bowl of spicy sesame cauliflower with a glass of vegan white wine and be sure to leave your remarks or questions in the comment section below.
As always, for more veggie news, articles and awesome recipes don’t forget to subscribe to our weekly newsletter, like veggiesavvy’s Facebook Page and follow me on Twitter and Instagram! Much Love ♥ ♥ ♥