Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Sliders With Caramelized Onions
Jackfruit has lately become a very popular ingredient among vegetarians and vegans since the texture feels meaty and yet it’s cruelty-free! As soon as I discovered that my local supermarket sells jackfruit I needed to give it a try! I decided to prepare a super easy jackfruit recipe: vegan BBQ jackfruit sliders with caramelized onions. This dish not only tastes fantastic but it requires very few ingredients and absolutely no kitchen fuss. New to the vegan diet? No problem! This jackfruit recipe is guaranteed to wow you and your guests with minimal effort!
Burgers and sliders are great for parties and this BBQ vegan version is ideal! After all both kids and adults love everything that comes in a bun!
Vegan BBQ jackfruit sliders with caramelized onions will surely prove to be a great tool to convince your meat-eating friends that the flavors and textures they love can very easily be veganized and taste even better!
When cooked, jackfruit has the feel of pulled pork and can be used in a variety of recipes as a meat substitute.
Did you know
- Jackfruit is believed to have originated in the southwestern rain forests of the Indian Subcontinent. It is cultivated in tropical regions around the world.
- The jackfruit is the largest tree-borne fruit reaching as much as 35 kg (80 lb) in weight, 90 cm (35 in) in length, and 50 cm (20 in) in diameter.
- The word jackfruit comes from Portuguese jaca, which in turn is derived from the Malayalam language term chakka, first recorded when the Portuguese arrived in India in 1498.
- Archaeological findings suggest that jackfruit was cultivated in India 6000 years ago!
- It has cardiovascular health benefits.
- Jackfruit helps maintain a healthy thyroid gland and has anti-cancer properties.
- Jackfruit is composed of 74% water, 23% carbohydrates, 2% protein and 1% fat
- It’s a great source of vitamin B6 and vitamin C
- It contains moderate levels of potassium
- 100 g of jackfruit has approximately 95 calories
Without further ado, let’s get to the easiest jackfruit recipe!
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 3 large onions cut into rounds
- 300 g jackfruit (If you can’t find fresh jackfruit, you can always use canned!)
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Caramelize onions by slowly cooking them in a little olive oil until they are richly browned
- In case you are using canned jackfruit, drain and rinse it
- Cut the jackfruit into small pieces from core to the edge
- Add jackfruit to the skillet or frying pan along with some minced garlic
- Allow to saute for 5 minutes and then add the BBQ sauce, soy sauce, chilli powder and vegetable stock
- Add water and allow to cook for 8-10 minutes
- When the jackfruit is soft enough, you can mash it with a fork until it breaks apart and looks pulled or shredded.
- Stir and allow to simmer until it looks golden and saucy
- Serve in bread buns with some arugula and extra BBQ sauce
There you have it! Vegan BBQ jackfruit sliders with caramelized onions in under 40 minutes! Serve with some BBQ oven fries and mushrooms for maximum indulgence! Easy-peasy! Who could ask for more?