Homemade Vegan Sushi Rolls Recipe [Oil Free]
Latest posts by Savvy Maria (see all)
- Creamy Green Hummus [Nutritional Powerhouse] - October 24, 2018
- Grandma’s Olive Bread Recipe [Vegan] - September 19, 2018
- Oven Baked Cauliflower With A Tahini Crust [Vegan] - August 16, 2018
Yes! You can have amazing vegan sushi rolls at home with minimal effort! All you need in term of kitchen equipment is a regular cooking pan and a sushi rolling mat. Sushi mats are called ‘makisu’ and you can find them at your local supermarket for a couple of euros/dollars!
As a kid and a young adult, I despised the smell and taste of fish, so as an omnivore I hated the idea of having sushi. When I went vegan though, I became a real foodie and wanted to try everything! On a night out at an Asian restaurant, I was surprised to see vegan sushi on the menu. I gave it a go and …oh wow! It was delicious!
As a general rule, I very rarely eat out. When you do most of the cooking, as I am sure most of you are, replicating interesting textures and flavors becomes something of a second nature. I’ll be honest with you guys. First homemade vegan sushi attempt was a disaster! I didn’t buy nori sheets because they smelled funny to me and didn’t bother to research how to cook sushi rice! To make a long story short, I failed miserably. I ended up with what you can only describe as a dry rice crumble!
The second time around, I was more prepared and the end result was on point! It just goes to show you that you should never be deterred when it comes to home cooking! If at first you don’t succeed, try and try again! You can veganize anything and in the process of replicating all your favorite flavors, you can become a great cook! Keep it simple would be my best advice!
Homemade Vegan Sushi Rolls Recipe [Oil Free]
Homemade vegan sushi rolls look impressive and you can definitely dazzle your partner or friends with this recipe! In reality vegan sushi is really simple to put together. The ingredients are very cheap so you can have sushi at home if you are on a budget for sure! Fancy and inexpensive!
And you really can’t go wrong with the taste! Especially if you enjoyed sushi before you went vegan! It’s the exact same thing, minus the fish! Pop in at your local supermarket or Asian store, grab your sushi mat, nori sheets and rice and let’s do this!
Ingredients (3 sushi rolls – 12 pieces):
- 3 nori sheets ∗
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 3 cups water
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- a pinch of sugar
- 1 avocado
- 2 carrots
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes
∗ If you don’t like nori, you can still make your vegan sushi rolls without it. Just make sure you line your sushi mat with some non-stick plastic wrap or equivalent.
- Rinse the rice and add it to a saucepan along with water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and let it cook for approximately 15 minutes. Then turn off the heat completely, keep the lid on and allow it to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked add some salt, vinegar and sugar. Stir well and allow to cool down.
- While the rice is cooking chop up all your veggies in thin slices. You can add the suggested veggies or you can use other ones according to your personal preferences.
- Line the nori sheets on your sushi rolling mat. Cover the surface with a layer of rice. Make sure that about 1cm on each side is empty so that the stuffing doesn’t spill once the sushi is rolled.
- Place your veggies horizontally in the center, halfway between the top and bottom.
- Place your thumbs under the mat and lift the edge that is closest to you up and over the filling.
- Gently press along the length of your sushi roll.
- Roll the sushi away from you until you’ve rolled past the far edge of the nori sheet.
Simple, Yummy, Vegan Sushi Rolls
Ta-da!! So simple! Rolling the sushi can seem like quite a daunting task, especially if you are attempting it for the first time. But believe me, it’s really easy! And if worse comes to worst, just roll your nori sheet into a cone and stuff it with the rice and veg! It won’t be a roll, but it will still be sushi! ‘Ice-cream’ sushi! Now there’s an idea! Enjoy the recipe guys!
If you have any questions about any of the ingredients or method, please feel free to leave all your questions in the comment section below! Also, if you like this recipe make sure to give it a thumbs up and if you happen to post your pictures on Instagram, don’t forget to tag veggiesavvy!
If you want to receive notifications, remember to subscribe to veggiesavvy’s newsletter for more vegan articles & recipes and support me on my social media channels on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram! Much Love ♥ ♥ ♥