Low Fat Vegan Tacos [Oil Free]
Latest posts by Savvy Maria (see all)
- Creamy Green Hummus [Nutritional Powerhouse] - October 24, 2018
- Grandma’s Olive Bread Recipe [Vegan] - September 19, 2018
- Oven Baked Cauliflower With A Tahini Crust [Vegan] - August 16, 2018
I am a huge fan of Mexican food! Especially if a lot of spices are involved, which let’s face it, it’s pretty much always! Tacos are a traditional Mexican dish that includes a corn or wheat tortilla folded or rolled, a main filling, and various garnishes such as guacamole, chilli sauce, tomatoes, cilantro, onions and peppers. For our low fat vegan tacos we will be using a canellini beans filling.
While you can get vegan tacos at almost any restaurant or Mexican fast foot chain, there is nothing better than making your own. Homemade vegan tacos are cleaner, healthier, lower in calories and saturated fat but still incredibly juicy and delicious!
Low Fat Vegan Tacos [Oil Free]
Our low fat vegan tacos are oil and cruelty free. This recipe is so simple and inexpensive to make! You can find all the ingredients at your local supermarket wherever you are in the world. You might even have everything you need already in your pantry!
I will be giving you the recipe for the taco shells as well in case you want to make everything from scratch! Nonetheless, if you are buying instead of making your taco shells, make sure to check the ingredients list as some of them do contain animal products (why…just why…). Also try to buy products that contain fewer ingredients which usually means that they are less processed, cleaner and subsequently healthier.
You can also use lettuce instead of taco shells to make yourself some nice Mexican lettuce wraps!
Ingredients (3 servings):
For the corn tortillas (6 tortillas):
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the taco feeling:
- 400 g canellini beans
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 red onions
- 3 medium white mushrooms
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 3-4 romaine lettuce leaves
- some pomegranate (optional)
- 2 tablespoons oil-free hummus
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
For the taco shells (90 minutes):
- Combine the masa harina and sea salt in a large bowl.
- Add the hot water and lime juice and stir with a spoon. You should end up with a firm dough that is not too dry or too sticky. If you feel it’s appropriate, add some more water.
- Cover your dough with a kitchen towel and let it rest for about an hour.
- Form golf-ball-sized pieces of the dough using your palms.
- Flatten your dough balls using a tortilla press or a rolling pin.
- Transfer your flattened dough to a non-stick hot griddle, or frying pan and cook for 30-60 seconds on each side.
For the filling (15 minutes):
- Dice the tomatoes, cucumber, onions and mushrooms and set aside. These ingredients will remain raw to give a nice refreshing taste to your tacos.
- In a skillet pour a few tablespoons of water. Chop up your garlic clove and water ‘fry’ for a couple of minutes.
- Add your canned beans (preferably organic), tomato paste and spices. Add a bit more water, stir and allow to cook for about 10 minutes. ** If you are using dry beans, remember to soak them overnight.
Final food prep:
- Smother some oil-free hummus on you taco shells or lettuce leaves.
- Add your bean filling to your tacos using a spoon and pour some of the fresh veggies on top. I also sprinkle some pomegranate seeds which give an exotic vibe to the dish!
Low Fat Vegan Tacos
There you have it! Low fat vegan tacos that are as nutritious as they are delicious! Bon appetit!
If you have any questions about any of the ingredients or method, please feel free to leave all your questions in the comment section below!
♥ SHARE & SUPPORT ♥
If you enjoyed this post, make sure to share it with people who would enjoy this recipe.
Don’t forger to check out my Etsy Shop for ethical, vegan inspired, handmade, silver jewelry, crochet bookmarks and key rings & more. New listings and cool products on the way!
If you need help transitioning to a plant-based diet, head over to Fiverr where I offer a 7-Day Personalized Vegan Meal Plan to set you off on the right path.
If you want to receive notifications, remember to subscribe to veggiesavvy’s newsletter for more vegan articles & recipes.