Protein Packed Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Quinoa is an excellent source of plant-based protein
One of the biggest myths surrounding a plant based diet is that it doesn’t provide adequate sources of protein. That statement couldn’t be further from the truth. We need to eat foods that supply us with the nine essential amino acids that our bodies can’t make on their own. Some plant-based foods have all of them. Quinoa is a great example of a complete plant based protein source. A serving of cooked quinoa alone contains around 8-10 g of protein which accounts for 16% of a sedentary person’s daily needs.
While it can be argued that animal products are more densely packed with protein, diets that rely heavily on animal protein are typically also much higher in saturated fat, cholesterol, added hormones and antibiotics. After close inspection, animal protein suffers in comparison to plant based protein.
If we contrast quinoa to beef for example, quinoa prevails with much higher amounts of potassium, iron and vitamin B6, as well as much lower amounts of fat and absolutely NO cholesterol.
Did I mention that quinoa, just like most plant based protein sources, is high in fiber, calcium and magnesium?
Protein Packed Fresh Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
This protein packed, fresh Mediterranean quinoa salad is both delicious and filling! It’s one of the easiest quinoa recipes that you could ever attempt! There is literally nothing more nutritious and easy to make than this quinoa salad!
Preparation and execution takes only a few minutes (yes, less than half an hour!!) which makes it a very convenient vegan dish! This protein packed salad, is super easy to make and its deliciously fresh ingredients give it a fantastic Mediterranean feel that is simply irresistible!
Great as a main or side dish, this fresh quinoa salad is perfect for any occasion. No fuss,just pure veggie goodness! Oh, did I forget to say that quinoa is naturally gluten free?
Let’s cut to the chase!
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 3/4 cup quinoa – I personally use a combination of white and red quinoa to make the taste even richer!
- 2 medium sized cucumbers cut into cubes
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- a handful of chopped parsley
- 2 finely chopped onions
- a handful of gluten free veegan crutons – Alternatively you can make homemade crutons by toasting some gluten free bread and sprinkling with salt and oregano!
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- juice from 1 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil some quinoa for 5-10 minutes or until cooked. Add vegetable stock to give it a rich taste
- Chop up parsley, tomatoes, cucumbers and onions.
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl and add lemon juice, olive oil and salt & pepper to taste.
- Add some croutons and give it a good stir
Does it get any easier than this?
As always, for more veggie news, articles and awesome recipes don’t forget to subscribe to our weekly newsletter, like veggiesavvy’s Facebook Page and follow me on Twitter and Instagram! Much Love ♥ ♥ ♥
•••Get your hands on some quinoa!
Surely you can find quinoa at a supermarket or organic/health store near you. If not, maybe you want to give these products a try!