Refreshing Strawberry Salad [Oil Free]
Eat Your Greens
It’s especially important to get your daily dose of fresh greens! Dark leafy greens are the most nutritious and calorie dilute foods on the planet! They have the most vitamin and mineral content per calorie than anything else.
Consuming dark leafy greens can be extremely beneficial for your health.
Let’s explore some of these benefits.
- Mustard greens and kale help lower cholesterol
- Vitamin K, found in abundance in leafy greens, is critical in preventing certain age-related conditions.
- They are good sources of carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin, which help filter high-energy light that may cause eye damage.
- The B vitamins help convert the carbs in food to glucose that the body can use as a fuel to produce energy.
- The slightly bitter taste of many leafy greens is a good sign: It reflects their high levels of calcium.
- A study in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association in 2011 linked a higher intake of these vegetables with a decreased risk of cancer.
I truly love all veggies and always have a huge bowl of fresh leafy greens with every meal. Some people might not be huge fans of plain salads and this is why I recommend exotic combinations of fruit and vegetables as well as rich, flavorful dressings. This refreshing strawberry salad is a great example of how delicious leafy greens can be. Don’t be negative, be adventurous! I promise, you will learn to love them!
You know how I’ve just mentioned that I love all things green? Well, that was not the case for fruit. Before I went vegan I ate very little fruit, very rarely. I was more of a candy lover.
But as soon as I went went WFPB (whole food plant based), I learned to appreciate all those amazing flavors, textures and colors and have since been consuming for than 5 servings of fruit per day. It’s crazy how much your taste buds change after giving up all the junk and nourishing your body with the right foods.
There is literally nothing that I crave more than starting my day off with a huge bowl of fresh fruit. My two absolute favorite fruits are bananas and strawberries.
I prefer bananas frozen as there is so much you can do with them. Ice creams, smoothie bowls, you name it. But strawberries I love consuming fresh in their most natural form.
Why choose a highly refined sugar treat when you can just have a bowl of fresh strawberries that will satisfy those sugar cravings and nourish your body with essential vitamins and nutrients at the same time? There is really no comparison.
Some health benefits of strawberries include:
- Vitamin C present in strawberries boosts the immune system.
- Strawberries are high in antioxidants which help prevent a number of diseases, including heart disease and various cancers.
- They are rich in iodine as well, which is very helpful for regulating the proper functioning of the brain and nervous system.
- Potassium, which is found in significant quantities in strawberries, also has been linked to an improved cognitive function by increasing blood flow to the brain.
- The high fiber and folate content form an ideal cardiac health pack, as they effectively reduce cholesterol in the arteries and vessels.
- Strawberries promote weight loss due to the presence of various nutrients that help stimulate metabolism and reduce appetite.
Refreshing Strawberry Salad [Oil Free]
Today’s recipe is simple, nutrient packed and oh so delicious! Who wants to spend a fortune to get a fancy salad at a restaurant when you can just make your own at the comfort of your home?
If you are not too big on greens and you’ve been searching for ways to incorporate more leafy greens into your diet this refreshing strawberry salad is definitely the way to go! This unique combination of flavors and textures truly compliment each other.
It will take you only 10 minutes to put together and you can have it as a side dish or make an extra large portion and have it as a filling main.
For your refreshing strawberry salad you will need:
Ingredients (for the salad):
- 2 cups rocket (arugula)
- 1 cup spinach
- 10-15 medium-sized strawberries
- 1/2 pomegranate
- a handful of unsalted almonds
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon of white sesame seeds
Ingredients (for the oil-free dressing):
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar or balsamic cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- Wash and chop up your leafy greens.
- Wash and slice your strawberries.
- Place in a large bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- Prepare the salad dressing by adding all the ingredients together and stirring well.
- Pour the dressing all over your salad and enjoy!
There you have it! Refreshing strawberry salad! Should you have any questions about any of the ingredients or method, please feel free to leave them in the comment section below!
If you like this recipe, make sure to give it a thumbs up and if you happen to post your pictures on Instagram, don’t forget to tag veggiesavvy!
If you want to receive notifications, remember to subscribe to veggiesavvy’s newsletter for more vegan articles & recipes and support me on my social media channels on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram! Much Love ♥ ♥ ♥